Job Title: Nuclear Repair Coppersmith / Mechanical Plumber x2
Location: Faslane, Helensburgh, GB, G84 8HL
Compensation: £32,422 + 33% Shift Disturbance Allowance (SDA)
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: 43682
At Babcock, we're creating a safe and secure world, together and you can play your part. Join our newly forming one Babcock shift team that's at the forefront of supporting the Royal Navy at HM Naval Base Clyde. You'll play an integral role ensuring the serviceability of submarines and surface ships through detailed maintenance, repairs and refit periods.
You will be part of a 3-team working pattern, below is an example of the 21-day rota system which repeats itself. Each working shift is 12 hours. Day shifts at 08:00 - 20:15 hours, night shifts are 20:00 - 08:15 hours.
* Day 1(Tue), 2 (Wed) & 3(Thu): 20:00 - 0815
* Day 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 rest days but can volunteer for overtime, subject to working time directive
* Day 11 (Fri), 12 (Sat), 13 (Sun) & 14 (Mon): 20:00 - 0815
* Day 15, 16, 17 & 18 rest days but can volunteer for overtime, subject to working time directive
* Day 19 (Sat) & 20 (Sun): 08:00 - 20:15
* Day 21 rest day
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for experienced Nuclear Repair Coppersmiths / Mechanical Plumbers with a proven track record who will scope out tasks, produce wire templates of pipework, access material requirements, bend up pipework/braze connections/valves ECT as well as work with mechanical fitters and welders, the NDE department and test shop as and when required.
What will you be doing?
* Completion of all planned preventative maintenance (PPM) and nuclear implicated work to ensure the department meets the objectives of the business.
* Identification/rectification of all defects and alterations to ensure the continued availability and performance of HMNB Clyde Submarines, Surface Ships and the Infrastructure Estate.
* Ensure that work is carried out in line with current legislation and site processes and make suggestions on improving systems and processes to increase productivity in accordance with set objectives and timescales.
* Work within all H&S legislation, Safe Systems of Work and control of work processes within BM&T Clyde policies.
The experience you'll bring
* Experience in Pipe Bending, Brazing, mechanical APT, Pipe Material Awareness, and pipework Jointing Method/Procedures.
* You will hold a recognised Coppersmith Apprenticeship to N/SVQ Level 3 or HNC and above Coppersmith discipline and industry experience.
* You will have great communication skills, as you will be engaging with people of varied levels from both Navy and Civilian personnel.
* You will be able to withstand harsh environments, comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces and be capable of thinking on your feet in order to problem solve and work within a team.
* Experience of Maintenance Procedures, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, COSHH assessments and Safe Systems of Work with excellent team working and interpersonal skills.
* Candidates must demonstrate that they meet and uphold our Purpose and Principles.
* You must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
What a role with Babcock offers?
Generous benefits including:
* Shift pattern supporting a 7-day working week and a shift disturbance allowance above the salary stated
* Generous holiday entitlement, 227 hours holiday entitlement increasing to 263 after 5 years of service (includes public and privileged holidays).
* Matched contribution pension scheme with life assurance
* Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts, and our Share Ownership Scheme
* Employee Assistance programme
* Training and development opportunities
* Autonomy. Feel trusted to deliver
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
HM Naval Base Clyde is located 6 miles north of Helensburgh in the West of Scotland. We are well placed for commuter links to Glasgow and the wider region, but it is recommended for employees to travel by car due to the location.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
All applications should be made online.