Job Title: WTA Naval Architect Engineer
Location: Plymouth, Devon, GB, PL1 4SG
Compensation: Competitive + Benefits
Role Type: Full Time Permanent
Job ID: SF42879
As a support partner to the Royal Navy, Babcock Support Business Unit provides through life support to Royal Navy Warships. The Warships Technical Authority team is a multi-disciplined organisation within Support Engineering, providing engineering capability to maintain the design intent of Warships. This is provided across a diverse range of engineering disciplines, from mechanical, electrical, systems, safety, environmental, data analytics and supportability. You will be working alongside other highly qualified and knowledgeable engineers to deliver the design and technical capability to provide through-life support of RN complex Warships, whilst delivering essential technical support to the Support Business growth programme.
What will you be doing?
The WTA Naval Architect is responsible for spanning the boundary between the COM, WTA, Lloyds Register, and the MoD customer. Working closely with the CLEs interpreting customer requirements and delivering the WTA outputs to maintain design intent, using informed analysis of the up-to-date material state information for the Class.
Specifically, the WTA Naval Architect Engineer will assist with the provision of technical support to all CLEs for all classes managed by Babcock COM and the Surface Ship Support Alliance. The post holder will inform support decisions, define changes to the vessels, manage priorities to meet the Complex Warship Support Programme and provide Naval Architect subject matter expert to understand and drive technically compliant repairs utilising cost benefit analyses to support platform projects.
You will be on-board often, working alongside Ship's Company's, Dynamic Survey Teams, Refit Support Group, Lloyd's Register and other experts to determine material state & repair solutions of platform hull, structure & machinery.
Agile working is part of the operating model for the WTA with staff able to actively balance their presence onsite, on-board, and at home, to best support needs of the Warship programme, the Company, and our people.
The experience you'll bring
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
* Knowledge of, and experience with structural repair techniques, rules and regulations.
* Experience in technical problem solving and restoration of design intent.
* Experience of survey of hull and structure, and proposing repair plans including maintenance improvements.
* Experience of Non-Destructive Examination (NDE) techniques and limitations.
* Awareness of formal maintenance theory and best practices for complex assets (e.g. Warships, but not limited to) for through-life support.
* An excellent verbal communicator, you will be required to articulate complicated arguments to a wide range of stakeholders.
* An excellent written communicator, to be able to write concise technically accurate reports, papers and bid responses.
* You will also need to demonstrate that you can drive projects and issues proactively to completion.
* The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defense security requirements.
Professionally registered Engineer at EngTech or above - or equivalent experience as determined by Leadership Team.
Engineering qualification(s) in relevant discipline, with significant demonstrable experience.
Experience in ship building, repair and through life support.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click here to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Closing date: 19th May 2022