Assistant Project Manager
Location: Ashton Vale Bristol
Business unit: Mission Systems Bristol
Make a difference with us
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and eager individual to support our Dreadnought Weapon Handling and Launch Systems project as an Assistant Project Manager. The Dreadnought programme is an exciting project that will deliver the new generation of submarines to carry the UK's nuclear deterrent, it is the largest programme in Defence with a budget of £34 million.
This is a production-based role and as an Assistant Project Manager, you will support the delivery of Dreadnought Class Weapon Stowage Equipment Modules within the Launch and Handling capability team. You will deliver key project management functions in support of the overall project delivery, including schedule, financial and risk functions.
The difference you will make
You will be responsible for a work package (ranging from a few hundred thousand to £5 million) documenting the scope, schedule, resource requirements, budget, risks, opportunities, issues, quality and HSE requirements for aspects of the project. Monitor the planning and control of work packages being delivered by other internal and external resources.
- Maintain project cost and time estimates. Ensure regular reviews are undertaken with each discipline to ensure they are accurate. Forecast and monitor project against budgets. Provide under supervision the resource and financial forecast data from the project into the business
- Undertake aspects of stakeholder management and communication, and support development of stakeholder management plans. Support review meetings for specific aspects of the projects, working with stakeholders to plan, monitor and control project functions.
- Under supervision, manage the risk process including identification, assessment and planning and implementation of risks, opportunities, and issues. Under supervision develop, maintain, and plan quality (i.e., Scope, requirements, and acceptance criteria) aspects for specific project outputs including task orders, supply demand and project documentation.
- Apply the Business Management System appropriately for the project and produce and communicate project reporting data on Enterprise resource Planning systems.
Skills and attributes
- You'll be experienced with working on projects, ideally from the defence sector and wanting to develop project management skills.
- You'll have knowledge of Microsoft Project or Primavera 6.
- Excellent communicator
Education and qualifications
- You'll hold/ in the process of/ willing to obtain a Project Management Qualification by APM. Similar alternatives are suitable.
- A degree in engineering, project/construction management is beneficial.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
- Autonomy to perform the role
- The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock's' fastest growing business unit
- Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
- Employee Share Scheme
- Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities
- If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments
What else do I need to know?
- This role is based in Ashton Vale Road, Bristol. This is an onsite role with some flexibility to work from home on occasion. Occasional need to travel to visit key suppliers is possible, but these are expected to be limited to the UK
- You must have the legal right to work in the UK and be able to pass security clearance, including 3 years of reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
- 37-hour week, Monday to Friday. Friday lunch time finish.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Please visit our website to find out more.