Job Title: Welders (Marine)
Location: Plymouth, Devon, GB, PL1 4SG
Compensation: £28,876 - £30,524 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Job ID: SF25987
We have an exciting opportunity to join a team that is at the forefront of supporting the Royal Navy fleet. If you can bring technical skills and a safe working attitude, then not only can we provide you with some of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer but also excellent development opportunities and benefits package - which will include a relocation package for those outside of the region.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for Welders to play an integral role in ensuring the serviceability of warships and systems through detailed maintenance and refit periods by working within multi-trade teams.
What will you be doing?
* Building structural modules from engineering drawings and technical specifications, you'll be able to align and prepare weld joints and weld structural seams to a specified weld procedure.
* Carry out surveys and pre-refit examinations of bulkheads and Marine structural systems.
The experience you'll bring
* Ability to read engineering drawings and interpret work instructions and be proficient in the use of general workshop machinery and hand tools such as the use of grinders, guillotines and band saws.
* Competent with weld processes such as MMA, MIG Flux-core and TIG (in mainly carbon steel and stainless Quality tested at either Lloyds or EN287) and have the ability to use basic gouge and edge preparation through grinding.
* A proven track record of completing work to time, cost and quality parameters.
* Ideally will have worked in the marine industry with experience of Royal Navy ships and submarines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels or large commercial ships.
You'll also have at least one of the below qualifications:
* Indentured Apprenticeship
* Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in a sheet metal, structural steel or fabrication related discipline
* Indentured or Level 2/Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in Fabrication & Welding.
You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Closing date: 30/05/2022