Job Title: Senior Submarine Structures Engineer
Location: Abbey Wood, Bristol, GB, BS34 8JH
Compensation: £45,089 - £50,618 (dependent on skillset and experience) + benefits
Role Type: Full-time, Permanent
Are you looking for a challenging yet rewarding role with a direct impact on submarine availability? If so, we have an exciting role working within our customer organisation to support their programme of work.
Babcock Submarine Support Engineering's (SSE) mission is to deliver submarine programme and engineering excellence through enterprise collaboration, innovation and analytics. Within Babcock SSE, the Constructive Group support the Royal Navy Submarine Fleet through the Structures, Naval Architecture, Seamanship and Outfitting and Design Change disciplines.
Who we are looking for?
The successful candidate will be embedded within our customer location in Bristol, at the forefront of in-service submarine support. This role would suit an ambitious engineer with experience of submarine (or marine) structures, looking to challenge themselves and further develop their skills.
This role is highly rewarding with visible contributions to the defence capability of the UK, helping to keep the Royal Navy at sea and fighting fit.
What will you be doing?
In this role, we require an individual to provide specialist advice and guidance on safety related and technical issues to maintain frontline operational capability within a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
The key responsibilities of the roles may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Manage design intent for primary, secondary and minor submarine structure.
- Assessing and advising on structural design change, material state evidence, defects, contract requirements and management of hazards.
- Creating, reviewing and accepting structural maintenance inspection requirements.
- Management of maintenance period inspection progress and ensuring end of maintenance for sea clearance process is achieved.
- Manage a small team of engineers and develop their submarine structures SQEP.
In addition, the successful candidate will work alongside a leading pool of engineering expertise across the defence sector with fantastic opportunities to learn and continue their professional development.
The experience you'll bring
The candidate will ideally have experience of submarine structures and be familiar with working within a multidiscipline team.
The following attributes are considered desirable:
- Experience of submarine structural design.
- Familiarity with structural assessment methods, standards and codes.
- An analytical approach to problem solving.
- Experience in finite element analysis software such as Ansys or Abaqus.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Effective project management, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively and deliver in a complex environment.
- An ability to positively influence and work collaboratively with all levels of an organisation.
- Proactive approach with a strong capability for problem solving.
- Proven track record of delivery reliability, productivity and quality.
- A continuous improvement mentality.
The post will be based in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. You must be a sole UK national and be eligible for 'Security Check' (SC) or 'Developed Vetting' (DV) security clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
- Enhanced employment terms and conditions
- Money purchase pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Share ownership scheme
- Occupational health services
- Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
- Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
- Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Visit our website to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please visit our website to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.