Job Title: Senior Structures Engineer
Location: Keynsham, Bristol, GB, BS31 2AT
Compensation: £45,089 - £50,618 (dependent on skillset and experience) + benefits
Role Type: Full-time, Permanent
Are you looking for a challenging yet rewarding role in an ambitious team of high performing engineers? If so…we are growing and looking for exciting new talent to join us on our journey.
Babcock Submarine Support Engineering's (SSE) mission is to deliver submarine programme and engineering excellence through enterprise collaboration, innovation and analytics. Within Babcock SSE, the Constructive Group support the Royal Navy Submarine Fleet through the Structures, Naval Architecture, Seamanship and Outfitting and Design Change disciplines.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated people with a desire to be at the forefront of engineering excellence, to join a growing team of structural engineers at the senior engineer level within the Constructive Group.
You will have extensive experience in undertaking stress analysis using engineering theory and Finite Element Analysis. As a Senior Engineer, you will lead the development of section capabilities within the Structures team, and provide technical support to the wider business.
Experience of marine structures and submarines is not a requirement, as the right candidate will be given the support and means to learn within a fast paced and challenging engineering environment. This role will suit candidates with a background in engineering; looking for a change in direction and a strong desire to develop themselves, as well as people with existing structural engineering experience within the defence engineering sector.
What will you be doing?
As Senior Structure Engineer, you will work on a wide range of projects on complex assets, which may include:
- Structural assessment using hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis.
- Design and assessment for explosive shock survivability.
- Platform surveys and validation exercises.
- Generation of capability upgrade.
- Technical investigations and feasibility studies.
- Trials and testing.
- Management and assessment of structural defect.
- Structural safety certification.
- Support to future platform projects.
In addition, you will work alongside a leading pool of submarine structures expertise across the defence sector with fantastic opportunities to learn and continue their professional development.
The experience you'll bring
You will have experience in structural analysis and design; knowledge of submarines is desired but not necessary. Support and training will be provided for you to apply and develop their knowledge of structures to submarine specific structures.
The following attributes are considered desirable but are not necessary for the right candidate who can demonstrate a willingness to learn:
- Familiarity with structural assessment methods, standards and codes.
- Experience in finite element analysis software such as Ansys etc.
- An analytical approach to problem solving.
In addition, the candidate should also be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Degree qualified in a STEM discipline (or equivalent experience).
- Has achieved (or can demonstrate the competencies required for) Chartered or Incorporated Engineer Status with the UK Engineering Council and holds full membership of a relevant engineering institute.
- Effective project management, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise effectively and deliver in a complex environment.
- An ability to positively influence and work collaboratively with all levels of an organisation.
- Proactive approach with a strong capability for problem solving.
- Proven track record of delivery reliability, productivity and quality.
- A continuous improvement mentality.
You must be a sole UK national and be eligible for 'Security Check' (SC) or 'Developed Vetting' (DV) security clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
- Enhanced employment terms and conditions
- Money purchase pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Share ownership scheme
- Occupational health services
- Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
- Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Visit our website to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.