Manpower is currently working with a world leading systems provider for enclosures, power distribution, climate control and IT infrastructure, based in Plymouth, who due to growth have a new opportunity for a Mechanical Engineering Manager to join the company on a permanent basis.
This is a day shift position, working Monday-Friday, with a salary of £47,048 along with great benefits package. The company also offers training, development, and advancement opportunity as well as discretionary bonus payments.
What You'll Do
As Mechanical/Industrial Engineering Manager you'll be responsible for managing the direct team to ensure production have capable processes to achieve the targets. You'll also act as a liaison to senior management to keep them up to date with shop floor matters.
Key duties and responsibilities include:Safety - Ensure all the foundations are in place to provide an accident-free workplace. Including:
Quality - Reduce the number quality complaints, specifically repeat issues:
- Risk Assessments updated as per their schedules
- Safety Audit - completion of own and ensuring team executes them effectively.
- 6S - ensure the shop floor is clear and well organised.
- Accident investigation is carried out thoroughly and in due time.
- PPE adherence is complied with by team members and visitors/contractors
Delivery Reliability - Bring CSM back in line with target:
- Ensure team carry out good 4D investigations for quality forum.
- Ensure team members implement immediate containment and counter measures to prevent re-occurrence to both internal and external quality alerts.
- Ensure all critical processes maintain a minimum process capability CPk of 1.33
- Ensure all critical processes have a detailed PFMEA with a maximum RPN of 150
- Utilise engineering skills to improve the quality within processes
Productivity - deliver a green productivity number each week:
- Ensure all layouts include a full analysis of material flow, inputs/outputs, ID, cycle times and line balancing to achieve Takt rate
Cost - bring spend in line with budget:
- Identify opportunities to improve efficiencies and implement, either through a cycle time reduction, or headcount reduction to achieve the same output
People - Manages the growth and success of your team:
- Create & own the annual capital expenditure budget for CSM manufacturing
- Control overtime in line with planning meeting.
- Implement improvements to reduce production costs
Control - Work with support departments to ensure we are working in line with company procedures:
- Carry out 1-2-1's with each engineer
- Define the future state of skills and attributes needed for a competent IE
- Develop a personal training & development plan for each engineer
- Ensure the right people are in the right roles - develop contingency plans.
- Nominate your stand in and bring up a good number 2.
- Do not accept poor performance.
Strategic Vs Tactical
- HR, Quality, Engineering, WP, Finance
- Ensure an effective balance between supporting the current production issues and ensuring future work is focused on e.g. NPI, ECN's, Capital Expenditure Projects etc
Who We're Looking For
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years' leadership experience within a manufacturing environment and hold a minimum of an HNC level qualification in a relevant engineering discipline as well as a CMI Level 5 management qualification.
You'll have a detailed knowledge of manufacturing processes relating to sheet metal, paint and assembly, and a sound understanding of the company's core products. Desirable would also be a NEBOSH safety certificate and knowledge of a structured NPI launch process.
Further essential skills include:
- The ability to implement lean manufacturing principles into a production environment
- Detailed process capability control and tools used to ensure compliance
- Problem solving - Adapting to the ever-changing environment and reacting quickly to meet challenges
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Presenting ideas and results to different stakeholders across the business including staff and senior management.
- Ability to understand and enforce company procedures and policies.
While further desirable attributes also include: MTM study, budget management experience and an understanding of electrical and control automation theory and legislation.
If all the above sounds like the kind of opportunity you're looking for, and you can demonstrate the required skills and experience then please do not hesitate to apply or get in touch with me today.
I look forward to your application!
07483 941 472
Please note this client is not able to provide sponsorship for applicants who do not hold full right to work in the UK.