Job Title: Submarine Docking Facility Design Authority (15 Dock)
Location: Devonport, Plymouth, PL1 4SG
Compensation: £51,520 + pension (up to 8% matched) + 25 days holiday
Role Type: Full Time/ Permanent
We have a new Submarine Docking Facility Design Authority role working within the SSN Design and Safety Management Team (reporting to the SSN Design and Safety Manager), to act as the delegated Design Authority for all DRDL owned SSN Facilities at Devonport. The team is responsible for providing specialist knowledge, support and advice to the Facility Plant / Project Managers. As we move towards the first of many Astute Class dockings within 15 Dock, there is a need for a dedicated Design Authority role to lead the 15 Dock / SRC areas of the DA responsibility. In this position you will be working alongside other highly qualified and knowledgeable engineers to support the 15 Dock and SRC facilities through what will be a continuous and fast-paced programme of dockings and facility upgrades.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for you to possess great interpersonal and leadership skills, supported by your knowledge of working within highly regulated industries or environments and interfacing with Facilities, Plant and Processes. A knowledge of Nuclear and radiological safety policy, and an understanding of methodology would be beneficial. You will have experience in leading, motivating and supporting teams and be competent in verbal and written communication. Lastly you will demonstrate the ability to operate and interface effectively with Senior Managers and external/internal stakeholders.
What will you be doing?
You will be responsible for providing, on behalf of the Design Safety Manager, specialist knowledge, support and advice as necessary to enable the Plant / Project Mangers to comply with statutory legislation and requirements as defined in the Licence Conditions/ Authorisation Conditions (LC/AC).
You will also:
* Provide holistic technical leadership for the 15 Dock and interfacing SRC facilities
* Develop and maintain the list of requirements for the 15 Dock facilities
* Provide guidance and advice to support the Plant Manager/Customer on Plant / Facility design and Safety Cases. To liaise with the MoD and civil Regulators and other stakeholders as appropriate/required
* Provide advice to the Plant Manager/Customer on the implementation and maintenance of plant in accordance with the BMS and any legislative requirements
* Provide advice to the Plant Manager/Customer on the implementation and maintenance of nuclear safety cases and the implementation of Site Licence Conditions/ Authorisations Condition Compliance Statements
* Support the wider DRD Design Authority organisation
* Support business demands by providing a quality and technical checking service to an agreed scope or area of expertise
The experience you'll bring
* You'll be educated to Degree level in an Engineering or Scientific discipline and/or have relevant experience; you'll also be registered as a Chartered Engineer.
* You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click apply to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
Closing date: 30/06/2022