An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Packaging Technologist to join our client, a leading global FMCG company with Brands such as Lipton, PG Tips and Pukka, based at their prestigious facility in Colworth. This is a full-time temporary role to start ASAP for 12 months working a 37.5-hour week and is paying up to £37,500 per annum, pro rata, depending on experience.
The business recognises Packaging as an important part of the product mix. Not only is Packaging a critical function - the business spend on packaging exceeds €220mn and we partner with the world's leading packaging suppliers. Our Sustainability vision cannot be achieved without packaging innovation and technology that will drive growth and, at the same, halve our environmental impact.
Based within the Tea Packaging team and will play a major role in meeting our growth and sustainability ambition. Tea brands include Lipton, PG tips, Brooke Bond, T2, Pukka and Tazo to name a few. Working closely with other functions as part of a cross-functional team, the senior packaging technologist will lead on innovation, renovation, and cost saving projects, landing consumer and customer preferred packaging designs.
Lead Packaging development activities across various platforms and ensure project delivery in close partnership across functions (Marketing; Supply Chain; Procurement) as well as key (external) partners and suppliers (e.g. 3PM, Material suppliers).
You will bring your passion for Tea, and enthusiasm to know consumer and customer needs and trends and use this to shape and deliver brilliant, sustainable, packaging experiences.
Your Key Tasks
- Deliver, as a packaging workstream leader of a project team, packaging solutions to agreed innovation, renovation and operational (cost savings, quality, complexity reduction) projects, on time in full, by following best practice in packaging
- Liaise with packaging convertors and material suppliers in the development of packaging components
- Deliver packaging which not only meets the required quality and technical standards, but also delights the consumer and builds brand love, through using the businesses Packaging Excellence best practices
- Developing and executing a testing plan for primary and secondary packaging, ensuring packaging is "fit for purpose" compatible with SC, Product properties, Consumer, Brand needs and legislation. The testing plan can include laboratory tests, factory trials, and distribution trials.
- To complete the content of technical specifications for packaging components.
- Where relevant, to deliver, as a member of a cross functional project team, solutions to agreed projects, on time in full
- Identify and implement potential cost saving activities across the category packaging portfolio.
- Attendance of project meetings and deputise for manager when required.
- To interface with other functions in support of project delivery (e.g. brand development, supply chain, procurement)
- To manage and deliver their own agreed work plan
- To comply with the Code of Business Principles and all SHE and QA policies, including the support of product claims, risk management and environmental awareness
Skills And Experience
- Experience working within packaging, ideally within an FMCG environment.
- Qualifications in engineering/packaging related area at further education level
- Basic awareness in packaging expertise of a range of packaging materials
- Working knowledge of the key materials for the category - Paper Board & Flexibles
- Able to work effectively in multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams
- Flexibility in work style to be able to manage several projects simultaneously
- Understand risks and manage & mitigate those as appropriate
- Able to tailor communication effectively with teams and senior leadership
- Ability to influence new thinking with stakeholders and within team
- Excellent spoken and written English.