Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Business Unit: LGE
Babcock LGE are in an exciting period of growth and we are looking for Senior Mechanical Engineer.
If you are ready for a new challenge and want to be part of a team that will have a huge impact on the future growth of Babcock LGE, then this is truly an excellent time to join the team.
About the role:
To perform all Mechanical Engineering design work in support of winning and delivering projects for our key customers, ensuring that the business maintains its position as the world leader in the delivery of marine cargo handling systems for the transportation and storage of liquefied gas.
What will you be doing?
* Design activities associated with marine and onshore liquefied gas plants, ensuring safe and economical design while striving for continuous improvement.
* Support the design of process piping systems, including all integrated mechanical equipment, to satisfy client technical specifications.
* Individually, and as part of an integrated product team, demonstrate technical competence and project ownership whilst being responsible for the relevant technical sign-offs and engineering governance.
* Mentoring and supporting fellow Mechanical Team Engineers and Graduates
* Active participation in Design Review meetings.
* Preparation of technical datasheets, material lists, calculations, engineering reports and operating/installation/commissioning procedures.
* Review and checking of piping isometrics, system drawings and bill of materials.
* Support the development of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID's).
* Work collaboratively with Process Engineers to define systems pressures and operating temperatures as required for concept and detailed level mechanical design work and piping analysis.
* Evaluation of vendor quotations for mechanical/piping equipment.
* Providing engineering support to manufacturing, assembly, testing and commissioning stages.
* Technical communication with regulatory bodies (ie marine classification societies), clients and vendors to resolve technical issues that arise.
* Infrequent visits to ship yards, vendors, in-service vessels and other locations as required for activities including equipment commissioning/testing, Factory Acceptance Tests, vendor/client technical discussions etc.
* Customer facing interaction as appropriate to enable the Mechanical design team to have a first hand appreciation of clients' developing technical and operational requirements.
* Actively support the company's Health, Safety, Environmental, Quality and other policies and procedures, whilst looking for opportunities to introduce improvements.
What do I need to do the role:
* Technical competence for the above responsibilities
* Previous experience in a Senior or Lead role
* Clear and confident communicator
* Fluency in the English language (verbal and written)
* Able to work independently or as part of a multidisciplinary team
* Capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously
* Highly motivated with an attention to detail
* Ability to lead tasks and work to tight timescales
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills
* Capable of supporting/mentoring Graduate Engineers
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and MathCAD
* Proven track record of successfully delivering design solutions.
* Experience gained in a similar position ideally from a highly regulated industry. This could be from but is not limited to Defence, Pharmaceutical or Oil & Gas
* Experience working to design codes ASME VIII, ASTM, BS and EN
* Experience of the following is desirable:
o Piping and piping components (valves, pipe supports, etc)
o Pressure vessels
o Hydraulic systems & equipment
o Mechanical process equipment (pumps, compressors, etc)
o Material selection
o Manufacturing/fabrication methods
o Structural design and analysis
o Vibration analysis and mitigation
o Pipe stress analysis
o Cryogenic piping applications
* Degree qualifies in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent).
* Wealth of relevant experience
* Preferably with Chartered accreditation.
* Must hold of have ability to obtain SC security clearance
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group. The Marine Sector delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services. Ranging from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training delivered through unique owned and managed infrastructure to defence and civil customers across the globe.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.