Manpower UK are recruiting on behalf of our client for an External Communications Manager.
Our client is a not-for-profit organisation delivering employability solutions across a range of UK contracts through a blend of local frontline professional teams. Our services are more vital than ever before to individuals and their wider communities as we tackle unemployment rates head on.
Reporting to the Head of Marketing and Communications, the External Communications Manager will lead the development and delivery of external communications for the business. We are accepting applicants from Middlesbrough and Newcastle.
They will play a key strategic role in helping to shape and deliver thought leadership and public affairs events, activities and campaigns. They will lead on media relations and PR, and source, write and edit content across the team, helping to find and bring to life the good news stories which will help us to tell our wider story both internally and externally.
With line management of the Digital Marketing Specialist, they will also oversee the company's digital channels and develop a programme of earnt and paid for activities and campaigns to raise the company's profile, brand awareness and engagement with key audiences.
* Leading on external communications to create, deliver and evaluate plans, projects, campaigns and events
* Play a key role in helping to shape, develop and communicate thought leadership
* Work with the Head of Marketing and Communications and external public affairs support to manage and take forward the company's public affairs activities and campaigns
* Lead all proactive and reactive media relations and PR activity, including establishing and overseeing a press office function and online news feeds
* Deputise for the Head of Marketing and Communications for media and reputational issues/crisis communications
* Oversee the company's digital channels, working with a direct report and colleagues to drive targeted paid for and earnt campaigns and activations
* Be the main writer and content editor for the Marketing and Communications Team, working across departments to find, catalogue, write/produce and promote the stories which will engage our external and internal audiences
* Represent the Marketing and Communications Team, building effective relationships across the business and with external suppliers and partners
* Measure and evaluate the performance of marketing and communications activities, and support the generation of research, insight and intelligence to inform the work of the Marketing and Communications Team
* Support wider marketing and internal communications activities and campaigns, as required
Experience and Qualifications
* Demonstrable experience in public affairs and working with external stakeholders; comfortable and experienced in building relationships with MPs and MSPs, and with a sound grasp of the workings of Westminster and Holyrood
* At least three years' experience' working in a busy press office/senior media role, with demonstrable evidence of managing/advising on reputational/crisis issues
* Excellent copywriting skills and experience of editing content
* Experienced at developing and leading PR/comms campaigns, events and activations,
* Knowledge and experience of using digital campaigns and managing multiple online platforms with both earnt and paid-for content
* Experience of developing/promoting thought leadership
* Experience of managing and motivating people
* Experience of working with senior leadership and ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders
* Ability to plan and prioritise workload to meet deadlines and objectives
* Proficient in Microsoft office applications
* Member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations
* Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Level 3 or above
* Qualified/experienced senior journalist (e.g. NCTJ National Qualification in Journal Proficiency Test)
* Knowledge and experience of the employability sector and local labour market
Should you feel you have the relevant skills to fulfil this opportunity, please forward your CV in the first instance.