Job Title: Senior Cost Engineer
Location: Rosyth, Fife, GB, KY11 2YD
Compensation: £43,700 per annum + Benefits
Role Type: 18-month FTC/Agile/37 hours
Job ID: SF42790
This is your opportunity to join Babcock as a Senior Cost Engineer working in the Type 31 Programme Management Office.
Here at Babcock International, our Marine Engineering & Systems (MES) business unit is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme as well as providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK.
The Type 31 Project will deliver 5 general purpose, global, adaptable, and exportable frigates to the Royal Navy designed to undertake a range of operational tasks from maritime security, humanitarian aid and disaster relief and defence engagement to operation in a high threat environment. The Project is the pathfinder and cornerstone of the National Shipbuilding Strategy and will be delivered in an innovative manner at pace with all 5 ships to be in-service by Dec 2028.
Who we are looking for
Working within the T31 Programme Management Office, we have an exciting opportunity to support this high-profile and fast-paced project as a Senior Cost Engineer to fill the need for a skill set within the Type 31 programme.
What will you be doing?
- As a Senior Cost Engineer at Babcock, you'll be proactive in engaging with all levels of the team to understand estimating basis versus execution strategy.
- You'll maintain the programme forecast and become familiar with the original bid assumptions, estimating norms, budgets, and schedule durations.
- You will own and present data and key metrics on overall programme estimate whilst being able to communicate effectively with all levels.
- You'll maintain and update the Type 31 Programme Estimate adjusting in line with the actual cost as requirements mature through the engineering and build lifecycles.
- Supporting in forward estimating of subsequent ship BUE's (by advising planning team and estimator on norms and complexity factors etc. to use).
- Adjust future estimates and norms based on project LFE and feedback with customer approval when required.
The experience you'll bring
- Worked on projects of varying products and services and across a number of lifecycle phases.
- Experience in estimating/Quantity Surveying for all project cost elements using various estimating methodologies including bottom up, top down, comparative and parametric.
- Experience with IFS is advantageous
- Experience in Ship Building or Production or Automotive sectors and/or a background in Manufacturing Estimating would be advantageous
Lastly, you will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements, this will require you to be eligible of achieving Security Clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Pension Plan
- Access to make a difference for a sustainable environment for future
- A tailored personal development and training programme.
- Trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Please visit our website to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please visit our website to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting recruitment and on-boarding for applicants.