Job Title: Embedded Supportability Engineer
Location: Bristol or Faslane - Onsite
This role can be delivered from Bristol or Faslane but is required to be always on site
Compensation: £39,408-£59,298 + pension (matched up to 8%) + 25 days holiday
Role Type: Full Time/Permanent
Job ID: SF37546
We have new and exciting opportunities for Embedded Supportability Engineers to join our Integrated Delivery Teams (IDTs) at Babcock. In this role you will be part of our SSNR programme to design and build the replacement for the UK's Astute class nuclear submarine. As the programme grows there is a growing role for Babcock to support the submarine development and ensure that the emerging platform design is as supportable as possible and can deliver the required level of availability. The Babcock team is based in Bristol, with teams at Devonport and Clyde, and works closely with the SDA, BAE Systems and Rolls Royce.
Who we are looking for?
As an Embedded Supportability Engineer, we are looking for you to have experience of the specification, planning and/or delivery of submarine maintenance in a waterfront setting, particularly but not limited to:
* Project delivery
* Production planning, management & delivery
* Commissioning and set-to-work
What will you be doing?
In your role as an Embedded Supportability Engineer, you will be influential in the decision making around the concept and design stage of submarines. Your responsibilities will also include:
* Utilising the design for supporting artefacts, engaging with the Integrated Delivery Team (IDT) Leads and conducting a continual assessment of the functional and spatial design
* Supporting the completion and continual update of the respective System Design Statements (SDS) owned by the IDTs
* Participating in IDTs during reviews of CAD model and Class drawings for supportability concerns, and assisting the IDTs in the generation of supportability evidence for insurance and assurance reviews
* Providing pro-active supportability assistance and free thinking for the above engineering areas of responsibility
The experience you'll bring
* Be qualified to minimum of HNC in a STEM discipline (e.g. Mechanical, Electrical, System, Data or Maths). Experience in lieu of formal education would be considered
* Ability to logically decompose multi-faceted problems through a supportability lens
* Ability to innovate and apply new approaches to spatial integration problems through a supportability lens
* Knowledge and experience of operating within Industrial Partner organisations
* Experience working in support with complex assets
You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* Enhanced employment terms and conditions
* Money purchase pension scheme
* Life assurance
* Share ownership scheme
* Occupational health services
* Flexible working hours (only non-industrials)
* Career opportunities, advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
* Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click apply to find out more.