Job Title: Scientific Technician
Location: Devonport, Plymouth
Compensation: £30,376 + Benefits Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF54488
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Scientific Technician at our Devonport Royal Dockyard site.
As a Scientific Technician, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. In the role you will be operating and optimising processes to support the smooth running of the Metallurgy/Materials department, to ensure compliance with procedural controls and Safety, Health & Environmental legislation.
Day to day, you'll work within the Laboratories Group and part of the Technical Services role family. It is fundamental to the testing, inspection, and analytical activities of the UKAS-accredited Metallurgy/Materials department within Devonport Royal Dockyard. The Metallurgy/Materials team supports engineering and scientific activities that deliver various projects across the defence enterprise.
You will be responsible for:
- All aspects of metallography and test piece preparation for a broad range of test and inspection activities
- Supporting Engineers with on-site and on-board inspections of Royal Navy submarines, ships and Dockyard facilities
- Managing laboratory stores, chemicals and equipment, including repair, replacement and resupply
- Participate in the creation of risk and COSHH assessments for various chemicals and processes
- Uphold the standards of a UKAS accredited laboratory and nuclear licenced site
This role is full time 36 hours per week and will be based on site at Devonport Royal Dockyard.
Essential experience of the Scientific Technician:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and electronic workflows
- Attention to detail and a systematic approach are paramount for this nuclear-implicated role
- Prior work with technical equipment would benefit any individual undertaking this role, alongside experience with chemical use, handling and sample preparation
- Qualifications for the Scientific Technician:
- Level 3 qualification, equivalent recognised professional status, or significant experience in a relevant discipline
Please note that this position is subject to enhanced national security vetting. The successful candidate must be a sole UK national who is able to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements (this may include obtaining SC, NNPPI or Developed Vetting (DV) level of security clearances).
- Generous holiday allowance (5 weeks + bank holidays)
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal and Cycle to Work scheme
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Closing date: 08/12/2023