Job Title: Safety Engineer
Location: Plymouth, Devon + Flexible Hybrid Working Options
Compensation: £39,408 - £44,044 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF52162
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Safety Engineer at our Devonport site.
As a Safety Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary where you'll provide a vital role in the production and modification of safety cases and provide technical advice to Plant Managers to support safety critical operations.
Day to day, you'll support projects across the Dockyard - from existing nuclear and radiological facilities to the design of brand new facilities for the maintenance and upkeep of the Royal Navy submarine fleet.
- Support hazard identification activities including hazard and operability analysis, checklists and walkdowns
- Undertake safety assessments including the application of deterministic and probabilistic analysis techniques and the production of fault schedules and fault/event trees
- Inform the design of nuclear and radiological facilities to ensure that risks are reduced to a level which is tolerable and as low as reasonably practicable
- Author and check technical documentation
This role is full time, 36 hours per week (Monday-Friday). We are happy to discuss flexible working arrangements with alternative patterns of working, including office or working from home opportunities - we require you to be onsite two days per week.
Essential experience of the Safety Engineer:
Although previous safety engineering experience is beneficial, a combination of formal and on the job training will be provided to develop these skills. Therefore, experience in other science, technology, engineering and mathematic industries will be considered. This is a great opportunity for someone looking for a challenge in the nuclear industry.
Lastly, you will need to possess good interpersonal skills and be competent in verbal and written communication, with the ability to operate and interface effectively with Senior Managers and internal stakeholders.
Qualifications for the Safety Engineer:
- Degree level in an Engineering or Scientific discipline and/or have knowledge and experience in the following:
- Hazard identification techniques
- Safety analysis techniques
- Technical report writing
The successful candidate must be a sole UK Natioanal who holds, or has the ability to able achieve SC and NNPPI security clearance level for this role. For further information please visit National security vetting: clearance levels - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over 130 years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.