Job Title: Senior Calibration Engineer
Location: Plymouth, Devon
Compensation: £42,245 - £47,215 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF55006
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Senior Calibration Engineer at our Devonport Royal Dockyard site.
As a Senior Calibration Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. You will be key in delivering support to our naval fleet, whilst ensuring quality and product safety. You will also be significant in supporting and developing colleagues within the Calibration Team.
Day to day, you'll be required to improve and develop methods of calibration of mechanical instruments (dimensional, mass, torque, pressure, temperature). You'll also manage a small team of Calibration Engineers, supporting ongoing uncertainty calculations whilst checking and validating the calibration of all mechanical, pressure, temperature and humidity instrumentation.
Responsibilities as Senior Calibration Engineer will also include:
- Investigate and improve on existing calibration methods and development of new procedures to increase the lab's capabilities
- Calculate and produce / review measurement of uncertainty budgets for all calibrated instruments
- Issue / authorise calibration certificates and reports for work undertaken
- Provide technical leadership, training and development for calibration staff
- Become an Authorised Signatory in the department
- Support and demonstrate the calibration facility compliance to BS EN ISO 17025 and BS EN 10012 and support audits to these standards
- Undertake analysis of calibration data to minimise audit non-compliance and validate operation within the company requirements e.g., uncertainty budgets and undertaking corrective actions as appropriate
This role is full time, 36 hours and based on site at Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth.
Essential experience of the Senior Calibration Engineer:
- Highly proficient with IT equipment, Office products and electronic workflows
- Ability to achieve consistent results with professionalism, courtesy and integrity
- Positive attitude to change, continuous improvement, exceptional attention to detail with a methodical and structured approach
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interface effectively with our customers and other calibration departments
- Strong maths, and good working knowledge of Excel
Qualifications for the Senior Calibration Engineer:
- You'll be educated to HND or equivalent recognised professional status or hold the minimum of an HNC or equivalent in engineering with significant experience in a relevant engineering discipline
Please note that this position is subject to enhanced national security vetting. The successful candidate must be a sole UK national who is able to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements (this may include obtaining SC, NNPPI or Developed Vetting (DV) level of security clearances).
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We are committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.