Job Title: Principal Health Physicist
Location: Plymouth, Devon + Hybrid Working Arrangement
Compensation: £ 60,000 - £63,000 + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF55610
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Principal Health Physicist at our Devonport Royal Dockyard site.
As a Principal Health Physicist, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. This role is unique in that it requires an in-depth technical knowledge and understanding of national Integrated waste management strategies and principals to ensure safe and compliant preparation, storage, treatment, transfer and disposal of radioactive material on and off the Devonport Royal Dockyard site.
Day to day, you'll will lead a team to deliver a Radioactive Waste Management (RWM) service for a large and complex nuclear licensed site supporting the UK's Nuclear Submarine Fleet. You will lead the team in the application of radioactive waste management principles and support them to provide radiological protection guidance and advice:
- Managing the team to oversee health physics and radiation protection tasks in accordance with current legislation and company policy.
- Ensuring the storage, processing, and ultimate disposal of radioactive waste.
- Ensuring consignment of radioactive material off site to external treatment/disposal facilities.
- Managing portable and installed radiation and contamination monitoring equipment used in conjunction with RWM radioactive material characterisation.
- Preparation of radiological safety related documentation
This role is full time, 36 hours based on site at Devonport Royal Dockyard with hybrid working from home arrangements.
Essential experience of the Principal Health Physicist
- Previous Health Physicist or equivalent operational experience.
- Relevant knowledge and experience of radioactive waste management processes and techniques.
- Previous experience leading and developing a team.
- Experience with Internal and external stakeholder management including MoD regulators.
Qualifications for the Principal Health Physicist:
- Degree in Science discipline - Desirable.
- Member of Society for Radiological Protection (MSRP) - Desirable.
- Chartered Radiation Protection professional status within Society Radiation Protection (CRadP) (or working towards).
- Generous holiday allowance
- Contributory Pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We are committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Closing date: 06/02/2024