Job Title: Mechanical Fitter x10
Location: Devonport, Plymouth + Relocation Assistance
Compensation: Competitive salary
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF52977
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Mechanical Fitter at our Devonport site.
As a Mechanical Fitter, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. We currently have have multiple opportunities to support the Submarine programmes here at Babcock.
This could see you:
- Working on warships, submarines or within our factories supporting delivery of complex engineering projects.
- Working on a wide variety of mechanical systems and equipment from fluid pumps, diesel engines through to high pressure air system and hydraulic systems.
- Working to engineering drawings and technical specifications, you'll also install and align new equipment and carry out system and equipment functional tests and surveys.
If you can bring technical skills and a safe working attitude, then we can offer you the opportunity to work on some of the most exciting engineering projects this country has to offer.
This is a full time role based at Devonport Royal Dockyard. Relocation assistance may be possible, please speak to us at interview.
We offer travel expenses to the interview (outside of a 35-mile radius of Devonport, Plymouth).
Essential experience of the Mechanical Fitter
- You will need the ability to read engineering drawings, to interpret work instructions and be competent in the use of general workshop machinery specific to mechanical fitting.
- Ideally you will have worked in the marine engineering industry with experience of Royal Navy ships and submarines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels or large commercial ships - although other relevant experience from other engineering sectors will be considered.
- Demonstrable experience of working within high performing engineering teams focused on delivering engineering projects.
- Demonstrable experience of working on the removal, installation and overhaul of marine mechanical equipment with a particular focus on propulsion equipment, auxiliary systems & power generation equipment.
- Experience of working within naval nuclear or marine engineering environment (advantageous)
Qualifications for the Mechanical Fitter
- Time served Apprentice within the field of marine engineering / naval nuclear engineering environment
- Indentured Apprenticeship in a mechanical discipline
- Level Three Modern Apprenticeship in a mechanical discipline
- Level Three Mechanical Engineering qualification
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance for this role.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive ten days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.