Job Title: Principal Waste Engineer
Location: Plymouth, Plymouth + Relocation Allowance + Hybrid Working
Compensation: Up to £72,000 DOE + Up to 10% Bonus + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF55636
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Principal Waste Engineer at our Devonport Royal Dockyard site.
As a Principal Waste Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. You'll join a friendly, motivated team of people who are proud to ensure that their work is compliant and safe. Supporting the wider business in waste demand and as an intelligent customer is critical to nuclear operations on site. You will be reporting directly into the Head of Radioactive Waste.
Day to day, the Radioactive Waste Management Organisation is charged with the safe and effective management and disposal of any radioactive waste arisings generated herein.
The Radioactive Waste Team is focused on site wide waste demand, governance, project integration and technical support to the business.
- Providing waste management expertise in support of the characterisation, processing, sentencing, and packaging of various radioactive waste from the Devonport Royal Dockyard Site.
- Leading the team in the provision of advice and guidance to major projects to enable timely treatment and/or disposal of their radioactive waste.
- Developing and implementing of relevant Waste Management Plan documentation, ensuring compliance with licences and permits relating to radioactive waste through the application of Best Available Techniques (BAT)
- Ensuring there is an ongoing presence in support of several major boat programmes.
This role is full time, 36 hours based on site at Devonport Royal Dockyard with hybrid working from home arrangements.
Essential experience of the Principal Waste Engineer:
- An applied understanding of radioactive waste management including characterisation, processing, sentencing, packaging, and transport.
- Extensive knowledge of environmental legislation in the UK Nuclear Industry.
- Experience of determine and application of BAT and the presentation of suitably underpinned and justifiable supporting arguments.
- An ability to effectively liaise with customer / vendors / suppliers with regards to radioactive waste matters.
Qualifications for the Principal Waste Engineer:
- Degree qualified in a relevant subject.
- Extensive radioactive waste management qualifications and / or experience is essential.
- Membership of a professional society - Desirable.
Please note that this position is subject to enhanced national security vetting. The successful candidate must be a sole UK national who is able to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements (this may include obtaining SC, NNPPI or Developed Vetting (DV) level of security clearances).
- Generous holiday allowance
- Contributory Pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up
- to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity.
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We are committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Closing date: 08/02/2024