Job Title: Financial Accountant
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire + Hybrid Working Arrangements
Compensation: Up to £50,000 (Dependent on Experience) + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF54907
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Financial Accountant at our Portsmouth site.
The Financial Accountant role sits within the Babcock Central Accounting team in the newly formed Finance Business Services department. This exciting opportunity will allow the successful individual to develop their accounting skills in a range of activities as we establish a central accounting function to support the wider UK Babcock business.
Day to day you'll:
- Prepare and review Balance Sheet reconciliations, including value add analytical review, completeness, aging, sample testing and timely clearance of balances.
- Prepare and approve non-contract specific repeatable journals for UK entities, including supporting documentation, maintaining a strong control focus.
- Prepare analysis required to support audit, statutory reporting and tax returns.
- Manage the payroll costing process and prepare / review payroll reconciliations.
- Prepare VAT returns and related balance sheet reconciliations.
This role is a full-time position that is contracted at 37.5 hours a week and will be based at our site in Portsmouth, with hybrid working from home arrangements. The current expectation is to be onsite, one day a week.
Agile working may be available to employees in some instances, applying the principles of fairness and consistency whilst ensuring that the overriding business needs can be appropriately met. We are happy to consider flexible, blended working, including part-time, condensed hours, and job sharing. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Essential Experience of the Financial Accountant:
- Demonstratable experience of working within a Finance function, ideally in a complex international business environment.
- Strong working knowledge of general ledger accounting and balance sheet reconciliations, with the insight to challenge and review balance sheet recoverability.
- Commercial awareness with a good understanding of the business environment including customers, competitors, etc.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office 2010 suite of applications including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio, and Outlook.
- Experience of Finance IT applications (e.g., SAP, Navision, IFS, BPC, TMS).
Qualifications for the Financial Accountant:
- You must hold a recognised accounting qualification (ACCA, ACA, ACMA, CIMA, ICAEW, ICAS) or equivalent / similar.
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance for this role.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Contributory pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- 'Be Kind Day' enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over a century Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities, and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.